Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A stinky situation (Diva Half Marathon Recap)

This past weekend the husband and I headed to the beach early Saturday morning for a nice short beach weekend which was long overdue. The weekend was scheduled around the Diva Half marathon that Lauren and I had registered to run.

We got to the house around 10:00 and picked Lauren and Michael up and headed to the expo to try and beat the crowds. The expo is good sized with lots and lots of girlie running paraphernalia. I'm not real big into all that stuff so we got our packets, walked around for a few minutes, and then hit the road. We had some sun to get! 

The weather was absolutely gorgeous (it's about time!) It was mid 70's with a breeze. It was cool enough not to sweat but hot enough to get a serious burn (ouch...I regretted that decision come Sunday morning). We spent the day lounging in the sun and then headed in for a nice dinner at Bonefish Grill just down the road. Julie arrived at the house just before dinner so she joined us. After dinner we headed back to the house to relax and chat before preparing for race day.

My race morning alarm went off at 4:50am and I did not want to get up. I finally drug myself out of bed, ate my english muffin with almond butter, and got myself race ready. We were out the door by 5:30 to park and catch a bus to the start. We had no problems and were at the start with almost an hour to spare. We hit the porta-potties, chitchatted, and peoplewatched until time to line up. After lining up my stomach got queasy. I knew I was in trouble. I weaved my way back through thousands of people to get to the portas again. There were still lines a mile long. I knew I would never make it to the start in time but I had no choice. I had to wait in line. Thank goodness I hate when my stomach does not cooperate.

Luckily I made it back to where I was standing with my friends with 3-4 minutes to spare only because the race was a few minutes late getting started.

I felt pretty good in the first few miles and stayed ahead of the 8 minute pacer. I felt confident that I could stay steady throughout the race at right under an 8:00 pace. That was until I hit about mile 6. There were a some small rolling hills and it was getting really hot really fast.

It just went downhill from there and I got progressively slower. It was disappointing but i could tell my body still was just not ready to race any kind of distance.

I had one of the nastiest things happen to me ever during a race at about mile 12. A girl passed me running and I noticed she looked like she had fallen in a mud puddle. Once she got ahead me all I could smell was poop!!! Yall, she pooped herself and it was all down the back of her legs and all over shorts. I couldn't believe my eyes or my nose! What the what?!?!? I am a very competitive person but come on, that was just too much. I almost threw up. This picture below was right after she passed me. She wouldn't high five the guy because of her "stinky situation".


What do you do when you are having a bad race? Just have fun and high five everyone!! (And celebrate that the stinky situation has gotten far enough ahead so she can't be smelled anymore).

I ended up running a 1:50:14 and it was good for 8th place in the 25-29 AG.





Our cheering section...mustaches and all. 



 We took advantage of the beautiful day and hit the beach for several more hours before hitting the road back home. These last pictures are of the babies after an overnight stay in the country with the grandparents. This was also Paisley's first stay in the country. Apparently they had a little too much fun!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know more about you! Please feel free to leave me some love!