Saturday, January 18, 2014

Viva Las Vegas Part II…Las Vegas Half Marathon


Sunday morning, we slept in and got out usual coffee and breakfast with the group. We had no plans for the day until it was time to get ready to race. It turned out to be a beautiful day weather wise so we relaxed in the hotel room and then hit the pool at the Aria. We lounged by the pool and took advantage of the hot tubs as well.


We got ready for the race and met the others in the casino downstairs. There were buses at our hotel that took us straight to the start line. That was wonderful. As big as Las Vegas is and as big as the race is, it took us no time to get from the hotel to the start. We were there with over an hour to spare and we got to use the bathrooms before they were destroyed!






The Las Vegas race has a 10k as well so we stood/sat around and watched and cheered for the 10k’ers. We also got to see the couples who registered to be married at the start line of the race. Yes, they actually paid and there was a ceremony at the start line just before the race start! The bride/groom costumes were pretty awesome and creative!

The the gun went off and we were on our way down the strip. We ran to the famous sign and turned around and went all the way down to Old Las Vegas and then made a loop in the middle of nowhere and came back on the strip for the last 4 miles.

There was a photo – op at the famous sign and I decided not to stop. I was feeling pretty good so I wanted to stay on track for a 1:45 finish. Little did I know that I was going to fall apart at mile 8. Between the amount of walking that we did sightseeing and the little rest, it caught up with me in a major way.

I felt good until mile 8. My legs started getting wobbly and each step got harder and harder. So what is a girl to do?! Slow down, enjoy the scenery, and pose for every darn camera she sees; and that is exactly what I did.







I finished with a time of 1:54:07 and with a smile on my face! Not all races can be run fast and well. I learned that lesson well at this race. The experience of being in a new place and running down an amazing street full of lights was totally worth it!

After finishing, I found a corner of the street right in front of the Bellagio and sat and waited for the crew to all finish. I found Michael and we sat together for a few and then it hit me. The runners plague….stomach issues. I had to go. I left Michael, climbed a fence (which was probably illegal), found a side door that was unlocked, and scoured the mall in the Bellagio for a restroom.

Yall this is TMI but I had to stop in this fancy mall twice and sit down because it was so bad. I headed up the stairs and I finally found one. There were runners everywhere and I just knew I was going to have to wait but there was not a single person in line. Hallelujah, God was watching out for me. I was starting to feel really sick.

I sat down in the mall right outside the bathroom and waited for the husband and Michael to find me so we could walk back to the Aria. I had left all of my finish line food and water on the street so I had nothing to eat. I was still feeling queasy but thank goodness for my husband. He had water in his book bag and snacks. I felt so much better once I got up and started walking and put something in my stomach!



Everyone else made there way back to the hotel on their own so these are the only pictures after the finish. All in all, it was a great race and I would totally recommend it! I would suggest to them, though, that they need porta-potties at the finish line next time!!!!